Coconut Almond Perch with Brussels Sprouts

Today is Wednesday.

You know how I feel about picky eaters (see my dissertation below), so you can imagine my thoughts on "people with dietary restrictions." I just love 'em. I'm not at all annoyed by my kid's nut allergy. Not! Basically, diets of almost any kind irritate me on some level. Bananas make my mouth itch, but I still eat them every day! I'm just not into being restricted by what foods I can or cannot eat. That being said, my new friend Katie asked me what I make that she can have, being both gluten-free and dairy-free AND having a peanut allergy in her house. I have been thinking about a non-gluten, non-dairy, non-sucky something I could make for her, and I think I have got it with this one. This recipe also works for people who are unsure about fish (should read: children) and are just trying to get their feet (fins? Ha get it!?) wet with the idea of eating seafood. Adding coconut to mild fish barely even counts as eating fish because all you taste is the amazing toasted coconut. Once you - I mean your kids - realize how delicious these are, you'll (all) be ready to move up to shrimp scampi or maybe even fish tacos. If anyone else has any annoying "food restrictions" or "allergies," feel free to put me to the challenge (not that I believe you). Perhaps in just four weeks I will figure something out for you too. And then make fun of you on the internet! Oh I can't wait.

Coconut Almond Fish Fillets

Serves 6 

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs. fillets of perch, tilapia, cod, etc.

1 cup almond flour Don't even tell me if you also can't have almonds.

Salt and pepper

1 cup coconut milk (or regular milk) 

2 cups shredded coconut, or a mix of slivered almonds and shredded coconut I went with a mix of the two and really enjoyed my extra crunch.

Olive oil spray

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 450°F. Set a rack set over a foil-covered pan. Spray the rack. Put almond flour, milk, and coconut in three separate bowls. Season both the flour and coconut each with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

2) Working with fish patted dry, dredge each fillet in the flour, then the milk, then the coconut. You can either press just one side in coconut or both sides. Place the prepared fillets on the rack, coconut side up if you only dredged one side in it.


3) Spray the fish with the olive oil spray. Bake for 15 minutes. It's that easy folks. I topped ours with lime zest and cilantro but that's just because I'm an over-achiever.


Zesty Brussels Sprouts


Ingredients

1 lb. Brussels sprouts

3 slices bacon, chopped

3 cloves garlic

1/4 tsp. salt

Freshly ground pepper to taste

1/4 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional) 

2 T. olive oil

3 T. lime juice

3 T. honey 

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse and halve sprouts. Toss them on a baking sheet with next seven ingredients. Stir to coat evenly with olive oil.

2) Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir up. Put them back in on the bottom rack and then preheat your oven to 450°F. for the fish. Keep them in for 15 more minutes. (Add fish to top rack when oven is pre-heated). If you're making this dish on its own, just bake for 30 minutes at 400°F, stirring halfway through.

I just find beauty in vegetables and rustic-looking spatulas.

3) Meanwhile, make your glaze. Mix lime juice and honey in a sauce pan over medium heat. Turn to low when it begins bubbling. Stir often. If you like more spice, add another 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. Once it has reduced by half, it's ready to go, about 15 minutes total. Pour hot glaze over sprouts and enjoy.



 



 

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Piccata, Lemony Orzo & Caesar Salads for a Crowd

Crispy Sheet Pan Fish Tacos

Lentil Stew with Poached Eggs

Liz: On Picky Eaters

Picky eaters? Never liked ‘em. Don’t really believe them either. I allow everyone maybe five foods they truly hate. You like mushrooms. You do! You may just need to give them another chance. There are so many different ways to prepare different foods and so many different seasonings and sauces that I just can’t believe someone when they tell me they don’t like something. I usually blame the parents. It’s probably your mom’s fault you think you don’t like fish or green beans. Well, you are the chef now, and food has come a long way since your mom was cooking for you every night. If I can learn to love a good honey balsamic marinade when honey is the most disgusting food on the planet, you can do it too! And any little people in your home may just follow suit. ;0)